Discover the world in your own language!

English

Nymphenburg Palace in Munich in the evening

Beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle near Fuessen/Hohenschwangau

Sculpture at Linderhof Palace, Ettal

Hohenschwangau Castle in Hohenschwangau

View across the lake, Herrenchiemsee

Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2011 JoomlaWorks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
 

Bavarian Castle tour - a memorable journey through royal history, wealth and power

 

The most famous castle in Bavaria by far is Schloss Neuschwanstein, built by King Ludwig II in the 19th century. Often referred to as the “Fairy Tale Castle”, its location couldn’t be more idyllic.

 

If you visit Schloss Neuschwanstein, take the extra time to make a trip to Schloss Hohenschwangau, which is located very closely to Neuschwanstein. Hohenschwangau was built by King Maximilian II of Bavaria, father to King Ludwig II. King Ludwig spent his childhood in this castle.From 1832 to 1836 Maximilian of Bavaria had the ruin of Schwanstein Castle rebuilt in neo-Gothic style. Since 1928 Hohenschwangau Castle is owned by the Wittelsbacher Ausgleichsfonds. The castle is famous for its large Festsaal hall, called Hall of Heroes and Knights, which takes up the whole width of the castle. The stucco ceiling of the castle is decorated with neo-Gothic ornaments. Its columns are Gothic style.  

The Munich Residenz is located in the heart of Munich, and is Germany’s largest city palace. The former royal home to the Monarchs of Bavaria is famous for its architecture, room decorations and royal collections.

The Linderhof Palace is known as the Royal Villa and was originally the hunting lodge of Maximilian II.  When he inherited his father’s Koenigshaeuschen in 1864, Ludwig II started to expand the building, and later decided to tear it down.  The building was designed in rococo style. Linderhof Palace is located near Oberammergau, and the smallest one built by King Kudwig II. It is the only one he witnessed to be completed while he was alive.

Schloss Nymphenburg is a famous tourist attraction in Bavaria. It’s located west of Munich, and draws approximately 300,000 visitors per year. The residence was built by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his consort Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, to celebrate the birth of their first son after 10 years of marriage. The simple, cube-shaped building was built by architect Agostino Barelli in 1664, and later enlarged under Max Emanuel and Karl Albrecht from plans by Henrico Zuccalli and Joseph Effner. The castle is famous for its baroque facades, its Steinerner Saal (Stone Hall), and its 490 acre gorgeous park.

Herrenchiemsee is a complex of Royal buildings on the Herreninsel, an island in the Bavarian lake Chiemsee. Herrensee is located approximately 60 km south of Munich. Herrenchiemsee Palast, also known as The New Palace (Neues Schloss) is the largest one of King Ludwig’s castles. Designed after Versailles, the palace was built as a Temple of Fame for King Ludwig XIV of France, who was dearly admired by the Bavarian King. Highlights of the palace are its beautiful garden, the State Bedroom, State Staircase and the Great Hall of Mirrors, designed in French rococo style.

For a full list of Castles, palaces and fortresses in Bavaria, click here.